Even though over-ear headphones are still an option, you will appreciate the earbuds as they come with more compact design and portability. With that being said, not all claimed noise-canceling earbuds can really do the work. Here is the lowdown for what you should know about this feature and the detailed review on the top 5 best noise-canceling earbuds.
Top 5 Best Noise-cancelling Earbuds Review
Whatever design, feature, and sound quality you are looking for, we have rounded up the five best noise-canceling earbuds to make sure you get the most from your money. Below are the detailed reviews on all options.
Boltune Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds – Best Active Noise-cancelling
Boltune Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds are, hands down, one of the best active noise-canceling earbuds on the market. They can detect and negate a maximum of 28dB ambient noise. And with a touch, you can activate/ deactivate ANC mode, receive/end calls, and play/pause music.
Besides sensitive smart touch control, Boltune Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds come with three ear tip sizes to ensure the snug fit while wearing. Combined with the ANC feature, a pair of befitting ear tips further improves the noise-canceling performance.
There are two mics on each earbud, along with the exclusive Boltune’s Smart Noise Reduction Technology, you can focus on what you want to hear. As this technology enhances voice pickup and reduces background noise, it is especially useful when you have a phone call.
Deep bass, IPX8 Waterproof, and One-step pairing on the Boltune are all above the standard. However, the battery is not durable as it will degrade after frequent uses. It may start off with up to 7 hours of playtime, and then 4-5 hours overtime. Also, the volume-adjusting buttons on the earbuds bring some minor inconveniences. When being pressed, they inevitably jam the earbuds into your ears.
- [Upgrated Earbuds] - The upgraded second-generation Boltune BH023 is coming with Smart Noise Reduction function, being able to identify human vocals from background noise and intelligently extract your speech while suppressing ambient sounds, delivering the best call quality
- [Active Noise Cancellation] – Boltune wireless earbuds detect and cancel a maximum 28dB of ambient noise with ANC technology, which enables you to immerse in music without turning up the volume too high in the library, cafe, busy office, even city traffic. You can also turn on the ANC function without playing music to have a good sleep while traveling in the air
- Down to 28dB of ambient noise cancellation
- Smart Noise Reduction Technology
- Fit & Touch Control
- Easy noise monitor
- Battery degrades with frequent use
- Clicking the button sometimes jams the earbud into ears
AUKEY True Wireless Earbuds – Best Durable Playtime
AUKEY True Wireless Earbuds is another option for those looking for a quality ANC earbuds with long-lasting performance. We all know there’s no worse putoff than having your music ended so suddenly because the earbud battery cannot last for any longer.
This won’t be the case with AUKEY True Wireless Earbuds. The charging case can extend the playtime for up to 35 hours. A fully charged case equals four additional charges. On a single charge, the earbuds can last for 7 hours playtime with ANC off, or 4.5 hours with ANC on.
The battery won’t shut down quickly when it’s on low levels. Instead, it still offers durable performance with a wide connection range and low latency. So if you don’t feel like having to charge your earbuds many times in a day, AUKEY True Wireless Earbuds is an appealing deal.
Packed with a long-lasting battery performance, AUKEY True Wireless Earbuds, however, does not perform very well in water resistance. There are also no volume-adjusting buttons on the earbuds, which seems to be compromised for extended battery life.
- Up to 35-hour playtime
- USB-C quick charge to reduce waiting time
- Wide range and low latency
- Lightweight case with long-lasting charging time
- Weak water-resistant function
- No volume adjustment on the earbuds
Best Noise Cancelling True Wireless Earphones of 2021
The 10 Best Bluetooth Headphones For Working Out Of 2021
BEARTWO Neckband Headset – Best In-Ear Stable Feeling
BEARTWO Foldable brings to the table a different design and earbuds construction. Yet you may love it for what it brings. Unlike other ordinary earbuds, BEARTWO Foldable comes with an ergonomic neckband and retractable earbuds.
This design allows more stability and comfort when wearing. If you normally need music during your intense workouts, these active noise-canceling BEARTWO earbuds are right up your alley.
On top of that, BEARTWO Foldable is made with sweatproof, soft silicone materials. You can then use it for outdoor sports exercise while enjoying your music.
As BEARTWO Foldable has a headset with which you can easily attach/ detach, it allows the earbuds to vibrate independently when there’s a phone call. This feature brings more convenience as you are well aware of the call while not having to touch your phone.
BEARTWO Foldable has two components – headset and earbuds. It’d thus be unfair to expect it to be lightweight. Another unavoidable drawback related to the design is that the wire will make a clicking noise when you take off the earbuds.
- 【Updrade Design & Easy Carrying】-Upgrade version of the popular SX-991 Bluetooth headphones with active lifestyle sport yellow, feel more energetic.Unique high-end carrying case protects the Bluetooth headset from damaging and losing. Different sized ear tips with large, medium, and small size of gel eartips ensure comfortable and secure wear in even most intense workout.
- 【Call Vibration & Top Sound Quality】-Vibration and voice prompt-when the call is coming, the Bluetooth headset will be with vibration. Will never miss any phone call even you are doing exercise or in noisy place. Latest Bluetooth technology and CVC noise cancellation Built-in mic for stereo sound and superb bass sound, makes calls clear and stable. You will love the awesome sound of these Bluetooth headphones and they are exactly what you are looking for.
- Ergonomic neckband & retractable earbuds
- Vibration and voice prompt
- Sweatproof, soft silicone materials
- Robust physical build quality
- Not so lightweight
- Wires make a clicking noise when pulling the buds out
TOZO NC9 Hybrid Wireless Earbuds – Best Immersive Sound
TOZO NC9 Hybrid Wireless Earbuds deserves to be on this top list for its immersive sound quality. In order to achieve a superior deep bass and active noise cancellation, TOZO NC9 has three layers of noise suppression – an outward-facing microphone, an inward-facing microphone, and tight-fit ear caps.
The noise cancelation function on TOZO NC9 is smart enough not to remove the sounds you still want to hear. Besides, the earbuds can switch easily from the ANC to transparency mode, making it easier to pay your attention to the outside world.
The immersive sound quality does not only come from the ANC drivers; the dual noise-canceling mics also play an important part. They pick up your voice clearly during the phone call while isolating it from the surrounding noises.
While the ANC mode performs impressively in removing loud noises, it does not work well when the surrounding is quiet. And as compared to other earbuds, TOZO NC9 has a narrower connection range. One advice is to always make sure your earbuds and your device stay close to each other.
- 【Active Noise Cancellation】Hybrid 3 layer Active Noise Cancellation. 1. Outward-facing microphone detects external sounds and counter with equal anti-noise to first cancel noise. 2. Inward-facing microphone listens inside ear canal to pick up internal sounds and produce anti-noise again to twice cancel the left noise. 3. Ear caps prevent 90% noise going to ear canal.
- 【Transparent Mode】 You can hear what you want to hear, which lets outside sound in so you can hear and interact with the world around you. You can clearly hear the announcement of the airline or subway and what is saying around you without taking off the headphones.
- Immersive sound premium deep bass
- Easy switch to transparent mode
- Built-in dual noise-canceling microphone
- Combine both active and passive noise suppression methods
- A bit of background noise when it’s quiet
- Narrow connection range
ENACFIRE F1 Wireless Earbuds – Best Resistance Features
Last but not least of the list, ENACFIRE F1 Wireless Earbuds can be your long-lasting earbuds for both daily and workout uses. These nano-coating earbuds can stand the test of time and weather. Going for a run in the rain won’t be much of a challenge with ENACFIRE F1.
Besides the nano-coating materials, ENACFIRE F1 is guaranteed with IPX8 waterproof. The water-resistance quality is also included in the brand’s warranty policy, so there should be any worry about its durability. ENACFIRE F1 is rugged enough to withstand everything from sweat to water activities. Plus, the charging case’s exterior is leather made, which further reinforces the water-resistance quality.
ENACFIRE F1 fits almost all ears, which may be the reason why it does not offer any other ear tips for change. Even though the design is minimal, the charging case is quite bulky, putting it in your pocket won’t bring comfort.
- IPX8 Waterproof & Warranty
- Nano-coating earbuds
- Durable leather-made charging case’s exterior
- Minimal earbud design for easy fit
- No customizable ear tips
- Bulky charging case
Noise-canceling Earbuds Buying Guide
About noise-canceling feature
What is it?
Noise cancellation in headphones and earbuds use electronic analog methods to block out the exterior sounds. This feature has been popular on hearing devices, which allows listeners to enjoy the tunes without distraction. And when it comes to the term “noise cancelation,” it is normally referred to as Active noise cancellation (ANC) rather than Passive noise isolation.
How does it work?
The earbuds/ headphones use battery power to feed ANC circuitry, which in turn uses microphone signals to create an inverse signal of the surrounding noise. In other words, the microphone signals help to cancel out the noise from the exterior environment. Similar to adding a negative number to its positive equivalent, the goal is to negate the outside noise.
Noise-canceling vs. Noise isolation
Noise-canceling or active noise canceling is powered by the device battery, and it needs a microphone to function. As mentioned, the microphone picks up the actual surrounding noise. It then sends the opposite frequency to the device’s drivers in the attempt to offset the noise.
Earbuds or headphones with a premium noise-canceling feature can actively recognize human voices, loud tunes, and other non-constant frequencies. They give you a quieter place to enjoy your own tunes without completely losing your awareness of the surroundings.
The concept of noise isolation, on the other hand, does not involve battery and microphone. It simply blocks the noise with tight-fitting ear pads or ear tips. Passive noise isolation can be dangerous as you may have no idea what’s going on around you.
What to look for when buying noise-canceling earbuds
Before choosing a pair of noise-canceling earbuds, it’s crucial to look at its specs to check if it’s a good deal. Below are the fundamentals when scrutinizing your option.
Active noise-canceling earbuds are more effective in removing unwanted background noise than passive isolation. Some manufacturers combine both types of noise reduction for the best results. The effectiveness is usually measured at low frequencies and low volume conditions.
Design is another important factor to consider while shopping for a pair of noise-canceling earbuds. The design should bring you comfort during the extended time of wearing. Your earbuds should not hurt or ears or cause any inconvenience when lying/ sleeping.
As active noise cancellation consumes the battery power, you will need to go for durable earbuds that won’t stop the music too quickly. Most quality earbuds can last for at least 4-5 hours; some even come with a quick charge feature.
Sweat and water-resistant features are highly appreciated on active noise-canceling earbuds. Sometimes you want to wear your earbuds while exercising, running, or biking. Besides the snug fit, the earbuds should also offer enduring performance during your physical activities.
You don’t need to cancel out the noises all the time. Sometimes you need to be aware of the traffic, conversation, or other exterior sounds. The earbuds then have to enable you to monitor your surroundings by switching to the normal mode without actually taking off the earbuds.
If you are using many devices with different operating systems, the earbuds should be able to connect to all of them. The two most popular OPs these days are iOS and Android; it’s best if the earbuds can seamlessly work on both of them.
True wireless active noise cancellation technology is not cheap. Even though there are earbuds on every shade of the price spectrum, a pair that comes with comprehensive features (high-quality ANC, long battery life, water-resistance, etc.) won’t come as a bargain.
How detailed a warranty policy covers and how long a warranty lasts are the two most important things to consider when judging the brand’s confidence in their product. Despite how advanced it is, technology is never perfect.
Different people may have different definitions of a good ANC sound quality. Above are the best noise-canceling earbuds with a detailed buying guide to equip you with enough information before making your decision.
Among all options, we are biased toward the Boltune Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds for their ANC performance, durability, and ease of use. However, your personal taste may lead to a different answer. In either case, as long as you scrutinize your preferences and match them with the product features, your decision never goes wrong.