Headphones with wires wildly flinging and sticking to your sweaty skin during intensive workouts? Nah-ah. A pair of wireless headphones is a much better idea. It’s a perfect match for those who take gym-ing seriously and need their own tunes to get in the workout vibe. Before we show you the best Bluetooth headphones for working out, let’s walk through a guide to have a clear sense of what features to look for when buying these items.
What Are Types Of Wireless Workout Headphones?
Wireless workout headphones are headphones specially designed to stay snug and resistant to the intensiveness of the wearer’s physical activities. Most wireless workout headphones on today’s market are either true wireless or wireless headphones.
- True wireless headphones: These headphones have an in-ear monitor, which removes the need for a cord connecting between them.
- Wireless headphones: There is a cable connecting them like a neckband. The cable normally contains mic, playback, and volume buttons.
Why should you invest in a headphone for working out?
A quality pair of workout headphones is a worthy investment. Here are the three most significant reasons to settle down with your buying decision.
Focus during workout
Research has shown that listening to the right tune can keep people in the gym zone for a long time. Workout headphones can help you block the external distraction, giving you the ability to spend more of your attention span on your physical activities.
Immersed sound quality
There’s nothing worse than having to listen to repeated generic EDM in the gym. Having a pair of workout headphones offer a better music experience, letting you truly immersed in your favorite tunes. Enjoying your playlist while working out is an effective method to get you away from the physical exhaustion.
Boosted workout vibe
Music is proved to be able to affect your feelings toward both outside and inside forces. It can ignite your energy and keep it on a consistent level during the workout.
Music can change your perspective toward exercising. Instead of thinking it as a pending task in a daily to-do-list, with the help of music, exercising can actually be a long-term hobby.
How to choose the best headphones for working out?
Shopping for workout headphones that match your personal preferences is not an easy feat. Here are the important factors to consider before you finalize your buying decision.
Fit and Comfort
When you are running or exercising, the last thing you want is to adjust your headphones because it keeps falling off. A good pair of headphones for your workout should be lightweight so that they can give a snug fit.
If you usually have trouble fixing the headphones to fit your cranium, look for a pair with different bands and earbud tip sizes. These features allow you to easily adjust the headphones for a stable fit.
Sweat and water resistance is another important feature to look for. Ordinary headphones are not designed for the resistance feature. Headphones specially built for sports, on the other hand, have the ability to keep the performance from moisture damage.
Especially when you choose to run or exercise outdoors, waterproofing becomes more important. You don’t want your sweat or heavy rains to find and kill your headphones.
Imagine the put-off of getting back to all the exterior noises because your headphones run out of battery. It seems like the adrenaline stops and so your determination in accomplishing the workout session.
While around-ear headphones offer a long battery life, in-ear headphones normally come in smaller sizes. The advice is to notice the battery life and compare it to your workout duration. The music should always last longer than your session.
We all want to sink into the music when working out and blocking the outside world. Besides such common settings as bass or vocal, it’d be better if the headphones are built with noise-canceling function. This helps you to really be with yourself and stay focused during the workout.
Ease of use
You definitely don’t want to slow down and puzzle with the buttons to skip a song or turn on the volume. Instead, you want to spend as least effort on navigating on the headphones as possible.
That’s why ease of use is a priority when it comes to shopping for workout headphones. They should be intuitive to control, focusing your time and effort on your physical tasks.
Situational awareness is no longer a new feature on earbuds and headphones. There are times when you really need to be aware of the surroundings (e.g., you want to actively defend yourself from the threat of traffic or muggers, you need to hear an announcement or talk to people). This feature will eliminate the need of having to remove the headphones and put them back in again later.
Brands with a positive image will give you confidence in your purchase and usage. They also offer more customer-oriented warranty policies than the market entrant counterparts. If something goes wrong with the product, we all want the brand to get involved in fixing the problem.
Top 10 Bluetooth headphones for working out of 2021
SENSO Bluetooth Sports Headphones – Best comprehensive features
SENSO Bluetooth Sports Headphones is an appealing deal with good value for money. Within this pair of workout headphones, you have basically all features in-need for your listening experience. Pure HD sound, Bluetooth 4.1 CSR technology, IPX-7 waterproof, 8-hour battery life, CVC 6.0 noise suppression, you have them all in these headphones.
SENSO Bluetooth Sports Headphones also come with many accessories – two chargers, micro USB, and three different ear tips to make sure you have a snug fit of the headphones. This pair of headphones works for running, jogging, working out, and any other daily purpose. So if you are looking for a versatile product that comes as a good deal, this is it.
The ergonomic in-ear feeling is stable. Even under vigorous physical activities, the headphones won’t fall out easily. However, some light noises can still get in the earbuds when the exterior environment is too loud.
One downside of the headphones is that the plastic cover is quite hard to open. You will need a bit of force when opening it for charging.
- True HD high Fidelity sound featuring latest Bluetooth 4.1 CSR technology and state of the art acoustic components that produce incredible sound quality with deep bass and crystal clear treble.
- Comfortable and secure fit with IPX-7 waterproof rating - activbuds feature ergonomically designed flexible ear hooks with gel Flex silicone earbuds to ensure your headphones stay comfortably firm in place to guarantee fatigue free ears and tangle free comfort.
- All necessary features at a good price
- Inclusive accessories and ear tips
- Versatile functions
- Won’t fall off easily when running
- The plastic cover leading to charge input is difficult to open
- Some light static noise
BOSE SoundSport Sweatproof Bluetooth Headphones – Best brand reputation
BOSE has no longer a strange name in the sound equipment industry. BOSE SoundSport Sweatproof Bluetooth Headphones is thus a reliable choice for those preferring to buy from a highly reputable brand.
As it is true wireless, BOSE SoundSport offers superior in-ear fit, making it one of the best choices for workout headphones. Even though the battery time is not so competitive as compared to other brands, the charging case makes up for it by offering two additional full charges.
BOSE SoundSport also comes with a Find My Buds feature, which tracks the time and location your headphones were last connected to your device. The audio signal from the headphones once activated will help you find them easily.
As a brand with a long history, BOSE comes with all of its iconic features with durable quality. The NFC pairing works consistently over time, giving you a hassle-free listening experience during a workout.
Despite being sweatproof, BOSE SoundSport’s weather resistance is quite weak. And as the earbuds fit tightly, the penetrated noise was minimal, that’s why it does not provide the noise cancellation feature. It’d be better to use BOSE SoundSport for your indoor activities.
- Truly wireless sport headphones for total freedom of movement, packed full of technology that makes music sound clear and powerful. Charging time 2 hours
- Earbuds are sweat and weather resistant (with an IPX4 rating) and come with 3 different pairs of StayHear and Sport tips (in sizes S/M/L) that provide a comfortable and secure fit
- True wireless in-ear headphones
- Find My Buds feature
- Long-lasting charging case
- Easy NFC pairing
- Weak weather resistance
- Lack of noise cancellation feature
TOZO T10 Wireless Earbuds with TWS Stereo Headphones – Best resistance features
If you prefer exercising outdoors and need a product with high-quality resistance features, TOZO T10 should be the choice. It comes with IPX8 waterproof guarantee and nano-coating materials – one of the highest waterproof levels on the market. Heavy sweat and rain won’t be a challenge to these headphones.
On top of that, both earbuds and the charge case are water and weather resistant. The headphones are also packed with noise reduction caps, making it easy to switch from transparency mode to noise cancelation mode.
The earcaps are made of gel-flexible silicone with four different sizes, giving you choices to make them perfectly fit to your ears, just like how Cinderella felt when she put on the glass slippers. Despite how much you jump and shake your heads, the headphones seem impossible to fall out.
One big disadvantage of the TOZO T10 is the short battery (around 4 hours). The battery also takes quite a while to be full again. The advice here is to always get your headphones fully charged before starting your workout session.
- [stereo sound quality] TOZO T10 Earbuds' 8mm large size speaker driver (the drive area is 1.77 times than the normal drive area) delivers powerful bass( lowest 16Hz), mellow midrange, and clear treble(up to 20kHz). Reproducing your music vividly.
- [ BLUETOOTH 5.0] Features with the advanced Bluetooth 5.0 technology, TOZO T10 Earbuds support HSP HFP A2DP AVRCP, which provides instant pairing and stable transmission without interruptions.
- Latest IPX8 waterproof
- Both earbuds and charging case are weather resistant
- Tight noise reduction cap
- Gel-flexible silicone ear caps
- Short battery time
- Take times to be fully charged
Otium Bluetooth Headphones – Best affordable workout headphones
Otium Bluetooth Headphones is a simple and highly affordable option for those not so demanding about sound quality. It has all the basic features of the workout headphones while not hurting your wallet.
Otium Bluetooth Headphones present with an intuitive user interface. You can play/ pause music, end/ answer a call with a light touch. All buttons are easy to navigate and do not require much force to press.
For a budget pair of headphones, Otium is an attractive deal as it offers IPX7 waterproof, Bluetooth V4.1+EDR, around 4-6 hours of battery, and a good fit on ears. The design is simple yet efficient; soft ear hooks make it comfortable and secure while wearing. You can thus use Otium Bluetooth Headphones for jogging, trekking, running, biking, and gym.
It’d be unfair to compare Otium’s sound quality with other well-known brands like BOSE or SENSO, as they are in different price ranges. For this reason, if you are looking for an incredible music experience, this pair of headphones may not be the right choice.
- IPX7 waterproof,Adopting highly sealed shell + nano-coating waterproof technology, its waterproof performance reaches IPX7 waterproof standard, and it is not afraid of sweat attack even if it is used in severe sports. Great for running, hiking, cycling, fitness, yoga, travel, gym etc.
- Excellent sound quality, headset and Bluetooth for stereo sound and superb bass sound. Clear high & low volume. Best wireless earbuds sound.Bulit-in mic with voice notification of incoming calls
- Easy-to-use buttons
- Intuitive user interface
- Soft ear hooks for comfortable wearing
- Responsive customer service
- Bass and treble are just decent
- Battery does not last long
Levin Bluetooth Headphones with Neckband – Best durable neckband
Levin Bluetooth Headphones can be your long-term companion during workouts. The best selling point of the headphones is their durable materials. If you are in search of an item to stand the test of time, Levin Bluetooth Headphones is the answer.
The design makes the headphone lightweight enough for your on-the-ear comfort while not compromising the snug fit when in intensive motions. The neckband connecting two earbuds makes it possible to run, jump, headbang, exercise vigorously, and the music is still on your ears.
Levin Bluetooth Headphones make fit portable in a carrying case along with two ear foams. USB cable can also coil up neatly in a mesh pocket, giving you a complete kit to store your headphones and accessories. This carrying case is a huge plus, especially for those traveling regularly.
The sound quality on Levin Bluetooth Headphones is consistent, yet it may not be loud enough for some people. And the microphone sometimes cannot pick up your voice clearly for phone conversation.
- INDUSTRY-LEADING BLUETOOTH 4.1: Advanced Bluetooth chipset provides you a faster transmission and low latency. Wireless range up to 10m(33ft). Enjoy skip-free phone call and music. Compatible with all kind of Smartphones Tablets and more.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND SWEATPROOF:The design eliminates troublesome wires tangling around when running, jogging or working out, never falling out of your ears even when rushing or jumping.Totally SWEAT PROOF and designed for superior COMFORT.
- Durable materials
- Design eliminates wires tangling
- Included earpads and travel case
- Consistent sound quality
- Highest volume is not loud enough
- Microphone does not pick up voice clearly
TBI Pro Professional Wireless Sport Earphones – Best in-ear snug fit
TBI Pro Professional Wireless is an ideal headphones option for people with a high demand for in-ear snug fit. The headphones come with three different earbud sizes, giving you a perfect fit when wearing them. Especially if you have small ears, the S size will make sure the earbuds never fly out when you are exercising.
Additionally, TBI Pro Professional Wireless is packed with advanced ear hooks to reinforce the secure fit. This feature also allows for a better wireless connection between your headphones and your device. However, the Bluetooth range on TBI Pro Professional Wireless is quite narrow. Some high buildings within the area may affect the connections.
TBI Pro Professional Wireless is one of the best workout headphones that offer comfortable and steady wear. You will have your headphones on while working out with no slippage.
A minor inconvenience on the TBI Pro Professional Wireless is that the buttons are quite hard to press. You will need to give it a bit of force to activate/ deactivate a function.
- ✔【QCC CHIPSET FOR HIGH-END SOUND QUALITY WITH DEEP BASS】 High-fidelity stereo sound with aptX codec and state-of-the-art Intel QCC 3003 chipset provides immersive music experience in the entire frequency range. These headphones are compatible with most iPhone and Android smartphones.
- ✔【THE LONG-LASTING BATTERY WITH UP TO 12+ HOURS PLAYTIME】 The powerful upgraded 170 mAh battery provides longer playtime up to 12+ hours of continuous talking/music time and up to 240 hours in standby mode with a single charge for optimal sports or other experience, so you can enjoy long-lasting music and less charge time. Wherever you go, headphones take care of your music.
- Stable & strong connection
- Advanced ear hooks for a secure fit
- Comfortable steady wear
- Good size for small ears
- Buttons need forces to press
- Narrow Bluetooth range
Phaiser BHS-530 Bluetooth Headphones – Best headphones for runners
If you are a runner, you know how troublesome it is to have the neckband touching your neck and earbuds falling out of your ears. Designed with comfort in mind, Phaiser BHS-530 Bluetooth Headphones solves all these problems.
Phaiser BHS-530 has a customizable memory-foam ear tips and lightweight cord to ensure the wearing comfort. The intuitive controls with easy-to-press buttons also facilitates your running. Hands-free calling and music switching are all possible with Phaiser BHS-530.
The headphones are built with a wide volume range and efficient background noise reduction feature. The included instruction booklet was newbie-friendly, and the Bluetooth connection is just a breeze. These functions make outdoor running more enjoyable as you can immerse yourself in your personal zone.
Even though it’s comfortable to wear the Phaiser BHS-530, the headphones take quite a while to adjust for a truly secure fit. It’s worth your patience as you’ll be running with your headphones on for a long time, and you probably don’t want to slow down to fit them again once in a while. The sound quality is not to compare with other high-end products, yet you still got a decent pair of headphones for your running hobby.
- PLAY ALL DAY - Crisp Bluetooth HD Audio and 11-hour battery life will have you jamming from your morning commute until your evening workout.
- YOURS EARS, YOUR FIT - Multi-size EarTips and comfortable over ear hooks will keep your buds in place and your tunes pumping during even the most vigorous workouts.
- Comply T-400 memory-foam ear tips
- Intuitive controls
- Cord won’t touch your neck when running
- Wide volume range
- Sound quality is lacking
- Take a while to secure a fit
Mpow FLAME2 Bluetooth Headphones – Best Bluetooth connection
A strong and stable Bluetooth connection is always one of the priorities when shopping for workout headphones. And if you have the same priority, the Mpow FLAME2 is for you. The headphones are equipped with an advanced CSR chipset and Bluetooth 5.0 technology. Your music and phone calls will always be seamless on this device.
Mpow FLAME2’s design ensures hi-fi well-balanced sound; your listening experience will then be consistent over time. One of the best things on Mpow FLAME2 that stands out from the competition is that it can connect to two devices at a time. If you have a habit of working out with a partner and you two want to share the tunes, Mpow FLAME2 is the solution.
Mpow seems generous when it comes to accessories. Within the box you’ll have a pair of earphones, a carrying case, four sets of ear tips (XS, S, M, L), three sets of ear wings (S, M, L), a pair of foam tips, a cable clothing clip, a cable length adjuster, a micro USB charging cable, and a user manual.
A disadvantage of the headphones is that even though they have many ear tip sizes, the fit is still not so secure. The ear loops are quite far away from normal people’s ears, costing you a bit of time and effort to secure the earbuds.
- Advanced CSR chip and Bluetooth 5.0 technology
- Hi-Fi well-balanced sound
- Stay connected to two devices at a time
- Inclusive accessories
- The ear loops are quite far away
- The fit is not so secure
JLab Audio Flex Sport Gym Headphones – Best over-ear headphones
JLab Audio Flex Sport Gym Headphones can be your durable companion for your workout of any type. With an impressive playtime of 20 hours, the headphones are also an ideal option for those who need music all day long.
We all know over-ear headphones are losing their popularity in the workout scenario. However, JLab Audio Flex Sport Gym Headphones is a good deal if you’re still interested in having traditional headphones for an upbeat and active workout session.
JLab Audio Flex Sport has two removable tension bands that provide three fitting preferences – Loose, Normal, and Tight. Plus, the washable headband and ear cuffs will give extra comfort and extended wear. And in order to make sure the continuous performance, JLab offers a 2-year product warranty and 30-day money-back promise.
One inevitable problem with the over-ear headphones is that they cannot be as lightweight as other earbuds with a neckband. And as it is built with a robust design, the buttons can be slow-acting sometimes.
- 20 HOUR BLUETOOTH PLAYTIME: Keep your music hassle-free by wirelessly linking your Bluetooth enabled device and streaming from up to 30 feet away. With up to 20 hours Bluetooth playtime of mind-blowing sound that’ll leave you with rock-star vibes all day long.
- COMFORTABLE FIT: The headphones make use of moisture wicking ear pads to provide all-day comfort and sweat resistance. Set your ideal fit preference (Loose without Tension Band, Normal, or Tight) to ensure a custom fit that's just right for you. Designed with removal earcups for quick, easy hand or light machine washing.
- 20-hour Bluetooth playtime
- Two removable tension bands
- Washable ear cuffs
- 2-year warranty/ 30-day guarantee
- Buttons are not so responsive
- Not lightweight
Letsfit Bluetooth 5.0 Headphones – Best minimal workout headphones
These headphones are a win for people looking for a minimal and compact music device. They are easy to slip into your pocket and carry around. The case is lightweight yet solid, giving your earbuds a good shelter while still ensuring the portability.
One of the most outstanding features on the Letsfit Bluetooth 5.0 Headphones is that you can answer calls, play music, or even wake up your phone assistant just by tapping on the earbuds. Once you start using it, the tap commands are very easy to remember. These smart touch controls make everything convenient when you’re in the workout.
With the role switching technology, you can switch your main earbud from left to right or vice versa without the need for any extra pairing step. There won’t be any interruption during the switch from Primary to Secondary mode.
A small drawback of the Letsfit Bluetooth 5.0 Headphones is that there’s no volume control. You can fix this by calling your voice assistant to help or directly increase/ decrease the volume on your device. There’ll also be a little bit of noise when you’re in a busy crowd. You may not want to use the headphones when the surroundings are too loud.
- Compact design
- Lightweight and portable
- Smart touch controls
- Easy switch between Primary and Secondary mode
- No volume control
- Weak noise cancellation feature
Choosing the best Bluetooth headphones for working out may not be a walk in the park. Depending on your priorities, you may now have your choices narrowed down.
For the best value of money, we highly recommend the SENSO Bluetooth Sports Headphones. They have all of what it takes for a smooth workout with music while not costing you a fortune. Have a different answer? That’s totally fine. At the end of the day, you know what’s best for your workout and listening experience.