There are too many best over ear headphones currently circulating the market. With this guide, you will be able to tell which of them is most suitable for you.
Buying headsets, especially audiophile headphones has always been a challenge. Blindly charging into the fray of Sony, Grado, Sennheiser is never a good idea. You need to consider many qualities to determine the best over ear headphones for your specific situation.
For this reason, we decided to make life easier for you by putting together a review of the best ones. We have also made a thorough buying guide to assist you in making your own decision.
The 10 Best Over Ear Headphones Review
Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Bluetooth Headphones – Best All-Around
Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Headphones are the best all-around.
Bose is arguably one of the most well-known names in the audio equipment industry, alongside Sennheiser, especially after the MIT acquisition. Every product it has put out is of the highest quality, and the Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless is no different.
Thanks to the link to MIT engineers, Bose’s products always have some cutting-edge new tech. This time, MIT decided to go big with the three-level application of world-class noise-canceling tech dynamics.
With this kind of tech, you can equip the headset on a crowded bus, and no external noise can mess with the vocals. You will be able to focus solely on your songs despite being around many distractions.
Noise cancellation is not the only thing these over-ear headphones have going for them. There is also the incredibly high audio quality, which will faithfully recreate every single note.
With these characteristics, we truly doubt that there is a better-suited option for the best all-around title.
Of course, we believe that even the best of products must have something to be improved. For the QuietComfort 35 II pair of headphones, it’s the fact that you cannot listen while charging, which is uncommon for wireless headsets.
- Three levels of world-class noise cancellation for better listening experience in any environment
- Alexa-enabled for voice access to music, information, and more
- Cutting-edge noise cancellation tech
- Faithful sound reproduction
- Durable battery
- Cannot be used while charging
- High price
COWIN E7 PRO Upgraded Active Headphones – Best Value
The COWIN E7 PRO Upgraded Active Headphones have the best value.
The best over-ear headphones tend to be expensive investments where you almost always get what you paid for. However, there still are exceptions to the rule, like the COWIN E7 PRO Upgraded Active Headphones with its incredible value.
Despite being priced at an incredibly affordable range, this headphone’s quality is nothing to scoff at.
The 45mm large-aperture Planar-Magnetic drivers will provide an incredibly accurate and deep bass response. The incredible range between 75 and 85 dB is where it outshines its predecessors.
There is also a high-quality built-in microphone, which can automatically rule out most unwanted noises.
Besides gaming calls, you can use this pair of headphones for live streams, as there is no noise issue. The powerful Bluetooth 4.0 connection also prevents disruption from happening.
We noticed that this pair of headphones still has one issue, or bug, within its noise cancellation system.
Each time you make a quick turn, the headphones will cut all tracks off, which can be rather annoying. Fortunately, you must whip your head quite fast to trigger this bug.
- Professional Active Noise Cancelling Technology. Significant noise reduction for travel, work and anywhere in between. Advanced active noise reduction technology quells airplane cabin noise, city traffic or a busy office, makes you focus on what you want to hear, enjoy your music, movies and videos. The noise cancellation function can work well both in wire and wireless mode
- Much Better Sound. Proprietary 45mm large-aperture drivers provide you with deep, accurate bass response. From 75dB to 85dB, the COWIN E7 PRO Active Noise Cancelling Over Ear headphones give you crisp, powerful sound and quiet that helps you enjoy your music better. The goal that provides Customers with better sound quality, is our constant pursuit
- Real-World(Ish) Price
- Deep, accurate bass
- High-quality integrated microphones
- Easy storage
- Brilliant music sound
- Prone to cutting tracks off if you whip your head too fast
Zinc Foldable Wireless and Wired Stereo Headset – Best Design
The Zihnic Foldable Stereo Headset has a beautiful color palette.
Wireless headphones are, more often than not, worn when you are outside. Thus, it is not at all an overstatement when we say that they are a part of your style.
We believe that the Zihnic Foldable Wireless Stereo Headset will satisfy many folks who like to flow with the beats in style with its sleek yet comfortable design.
It’s not just pretty-looking, though, as the design of this pair of headphones also focuses closely on the ergonomic aspect. This design means that the headphones will embrace your head gently yet tightly, allowing a relaxed experience.
If the design is the only ammo in this headset’s arsenal, it would not be on this list. As you can see from the name, this pair of headphones can serve both as a wireless and wired headset. All you have to do is slide the on/off button for it to change modes.
On the other hand, you must remember that this pair of headphones, at the end of the day, belongs to a very affordable price range. It has a fidelity high enough for casual music genres but nowhere near enough for audiophile recordings.
- ASTONISHING SOUND PRODUCTION : High Definition Stereo Headphones, specially developed software and noise reduction technology designed to prevent you from heating ambient noises and makes you focus on what you want to hear. Lose yourself in immersive music even in the lowest volume levels! The goal that provide Customers with outstanding sound quality is our constant pursuit
- BUILT FOR YOUR COMFORTABILITY: The Earmuff imitate human skin texture, ensuring lasting comfort. They are foldable and stretchable, which allows you to find the perfect fit without constraint and excellent durability. Zihnic is the best Choice for Travel, Sport and Every day use by Unisex Kids, Teens and Adults.
- Beautiful colors
- Sleek and ergonomic design
- Two modes of connection
- Good audio port
- Relatively weak fidelity
- Weak battery
Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Active Headphones – Best Durability
The Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Active Headphones are very durable.
If you ask us about what Anker is famous for, our answer will always be durability, extreme durability. These guys are hell-bent on making the most durable product there is, and the Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Active Headphones are a prime example.
Back in the days, even the smallest of drops can dislocate delicate components inside your headphones, rendering them completely obsolete.
Now, thanks to the smart choice of shock-absorbent materials, the Soundcore Life Q20 headphones can brush off most falls from reasonable heights.
That’s not all there is, though, as the Q20 pair also makes use of Anker’s exclusive BassUp tech. This tech allows the headphones to pick the low frequencies in real-time and strengthen their bass output accordingly.
The only problem we could observe is its chemical smell. It’s nothing too strong, just a faint scent, but it does not dissipate quickly, sometimes taking days to disappear fully. We suspect the cause of this smell may be the earpads material.
- Hi-Res Audio Certified: Custom oversized 40 mm dynamic drivers produce Hi-Res Audio—a certification only awarded to audio devices capable of producing exceptional sound. Life Q20 active noise canceling headphones reproduce your music with extended high frequencies that reach up to 40 kHz for extraordinary clarity and detail.
- Reduce Ambient Noises By Up to 90%: Our team of engineers conducted more than 100,000 tests in real-life scenarios to fine-tune Life Q20’s 4 built-in ANC microphones and digital active noise cancellation algorithm. As a result, the hybrid active noise cancellation can detect and cancel out a wider range of low and mid-frequency noises such as cars and airplane engines.
- Highly durable design
- Unique BassUp tech
- Affordable price
- Long-lasting battery
- Incredible audio fidelity
- Customizable noise cancellation
- A faint chemical smell in the earpads
Turtle Beach Recon 70 Gaming Headset – Best Microphone
The Turtle Beach Recon 70 Gaming Headset has quite a good microphone.
One of the most vital qualities of a gaming headset is a good microphone. After all, games these days all put a huge emphasis on the need to communicate clearly. That is why we believe the Turtle Beach Recon 70 Gaming Headset and its incredible microphone will be a hit.
The Turtle Beach Recon 70 Gaming Headset has quite a good microphone.
This headset’s microphone has built for itself a huge fan base thanks to its high-sensitivity nature. No matter how loud or quiet you are, this microphone can pick your voice up precisely. We doubt that there can be a mic better at voice-picking than this Turtle Beach.
Another advantage this headset holds over its competitors is how lightweight it is. Games may last for hours nowadays, be it raids in MMORPGs or matches in MOBAs. Thus, a lightweight headset can minimize the damage to your neck after hours-long gaming sessions.
We observed that this pair of headphones has a slight issue. Namely, it has stiff, creaky pivots and hinges, clear signs of shoddy plastic-on-plastic construction. This aspect is not too big of an issue, but still annoying nonetheless.
- Flip-up mic: Turtle Beach's renowned high-sensitivity mic picks up your voice loud and clear and flips up to mute
- Lightweight comfort: A lightweight design ensures complete comfort during those hours-long gaming sessions
- Highly sensitive microphone
- Light in weight
- Reasonable tracks quality
- Easy storage
- Nifty features
- Creaky, stiff pivots and hinges
Sony WHCH710N Noise Cancelling Headphones – Best Anti-Noise
The Sony WHCH710N Headphones have exemplary noise cancellation.
The Sony WHCH710N Noise Cancelling Headphones have proven worthy as a product originating from the Japanese electronics giant Sony. Specifically, they have an amazing noise-canceling tech that can rival and even surpass the Bose QuietComfort 35 II’s capability.
In detail, this Sony pair of headphones makes use of the Dual Noise Sensor Technology to sense your environment automatically in an instant. It then precisely filters the unwanted noise, thanks to an elaborate smart algorithm, and surgically removes them.
Aside from the noise cancellation, we are quite impressed with how intuitive the control scheme of this pair of headphones is.
The button layout is clearly defined and easily found, granting you the ability to customize the sound to your preferences quickly. You only need to touch the button gently to operate.
Besides, this Sony headset does have a respectable battery life, as it utilizes the same concept as the AirPods from Apple. You will last through at least 35 hours of battery with one single charge. It’s not as long-lasting as the Life Q20, but it’s still remarkable.
Regardless, we are not that thrilled about the Sony headphones’ overall design. First of all, the Sony ear cups are slightly small, making the headphones uncomfortable to wear for a long time. Next, there is the rigid headband, which is too hard to our liking.
- Cancel out the world with smart noise cancellation
- Noise cancellation automatically senses your environment with Dual Noise Sensor Technology
- Dual noise sensor tech
- Smart noise deletion algorithm
- Excellent noise cancellation
- Intuitive touch control
- Good battery
- Poor overall design
OneOdio Premium Stereo Sound Headsets – Best Bass
The OneOdio Premium Stereo Sound Headsets has concise bass.
No matter which purpose you use a headset for, the bass is always vital. Bass can elevate music to a new level or inform you of enemies’ positions while gaming with the correct sound setup. With the OneOdio Premium Stereo Sound Headsets, you’ll get the best bass possible.
It’s not that this headset provides the loudest bass, but more so that it utilizes bass perfectly. Utilizing a special algorithm to analyze the tracks, these headphones know how to inject the bass between the notes properly. Due to this feature, you will never feel like the bass is hitting your ears.
Furthermore, this headset has a foldable design, meaning you can fit it easily into your bag. If you travel a lot or a DJ, this feature can prove to be especially useful. After folding the headphone, you will find that it does not take up that much space.
Nevertheless, this headset’s build quality leaves a lot to be desired. It’s rather flimsy, especially when compared to other options on this review list. You will need to be extra careful while using and moving these headphones.
- BASS SOUND: Enjoy clear sound and comfort with the OneOdio Studio monitor headphones. Large, 50 millimeter speaker unit drivers combined with neodymium magnets; powerful bass, clear vocal, and crisp high tones form stereo sound
- BUILT TO STAY COMFORTABLE: The Protein Leather Memory Foam padded ear cushions are designed for monitor headphones comfort and noise isolation. The headband is adjustable and stretchable for you to find the desired angle you like to fit in
- Unbelievably good bass injection
- Foldable design
- High portability
- Comfortable padding
- Leather pad
- Open-back design
Razer Kraken X Ultralight Gaming Headset – Best Spatial Audio
The Razer Kraken X Ultralight Headset has the best spatial audio.
If it’s for gaming-only purposes, we doubt that any headphone company can go up against Razer.
The Razer Kraken X Ultralight Gaming Headset fortifies our opinion even more by how it handles the surround sound. Using the famed 7.1 spatial audio setups, this pair of headphones can provide a rarely-seen immersive feeling to the games, no matter the genre.
We have also concluded that this headset may as well be the lightest on the list, weighing only about 9 ounces. Gaming is a time-consuming activity, so that you will need as little weight on your neck and shoulders as possible. With this headset, you can barely feel any weight.
Moreover, this gaming headset’s microphone is nothing to dismiss due to its sensitivity. Sure, it is not as high-quality as what the Turtle Beach Recon 70 has, but it gets the job done. You can freely adjust this mic as well, as it is free-roaming
From what we have seen, these headphones can be quite pitchy. There is no bass, and the highs can be screamy for some sharp ears. This issue can be quite annoying for folks who are used to good instrument placement.
- The #1 Best-Selling Gaming Peripherals Manufacturer in the US: Source - The NPD Group, Inc. U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Keyboards, Mice, PC Headset/Pc Microphone, Gaming Designed, based on dollar sales, 2017-2021
- Immersive, 7.1 Surround Sound for Positional Audio: Outfitted with custom-tuned 40 millimeter drivers, capable of software-enabled surround sound when used for PC gaming only (download code slip inside the box)
- Excellent surround sound
- Incredibly lightweight
- Sensitive microphone
- Pitchy audio
RUNMUS Gaming Over-Ear Headphones – Best Comfort
The RUNMUS Gaming Over-Ear Headphones is comfort personified.
Designed with a mixture of soft material, the RUNMUS Gaming Over-Ear Headphones is spectacularly comfortable to wear. This pair of headphones has a generous volume of heading on the headband, eliminating all pressure around the head and fitting snugly.
The ear cups are designed to cover your ears completely without pressuring them too much. As a result, you can wear them for long periods without worrying about hurting the ears. Even if you happen to have a too big or small head size, this pair of headphones can be easily customized.
It also has a good ear design, ensuring that the pads will not fall out, just like the Life Q20. For this reason, you can rest assured that this pair of noise-canceling headphones will last for years to come.
Besides, the huge 50 mm dynamic drivers are among the best on the market, providing you with the truest of sounds. This feature and an impressive noise cancellation tech mean you can focus completely on the game you are playing.
There are, nonetheless, still some problems we want RUNMUS to take notice of. The most pressing one is how insulative the ear cups are. It is not a big deal for cold regions, but folks in warmer regions will surely feel an unpleasant warmth. This warmth tends to make them sweat excessively.
- Provide Multiple Hours of Gaming Comfort: We highly value the comfort of the gaming experience. This headset is designed with a mix of soft and breathable material. By inspecting the headband you’ll notice the generous amount of padding. This eliminates the feeling of pressure around your head while providing a snug fit at the same time.
- Solid Noise-Cancelling Microphone: A noise-isolating microphone is designed to minimize any unnecessary background noise, which means your voice is captured clearly. High-quality audio is transmitted that drastically reduces ambient noise to improve clarity. The microphone boom is long and is made from a flexible material that can be easily adjusted. It is excellent for streaming or chatting with your teammates.
- Soft material
- Good instrumental placement
- Complete ear coverage
- True sounds
- Insulative in hotter regions
- Premium price
STOON Noise Canceling Gaming Headset – Best LED Light
The STOON Gaming Luxury Headphones have some impressive LED lights.
There is no word to describe how impressed we were when the STOON Noise Canceling Gaming Headset was plugged in.
With seven continuously and automatically changing colors, this headset’s LED lights are simply out of this world. That’s not to mention their capability to synchronize to the music.
Also, this gaming headset is among the first to make use of the knitted audio cable. This type of cable is generally much more durable than the normal plastic ones. Besides, they are not as elastic, so they will not curl up or tangle, both of which are sources of immense annoyance.
As it is a gaming headset, there is just no way it doesn’t have the surround sound feature. While the setup is not as precise as the Razer Kraken X, you can still feel a sense of space. With competitive FPS games, this means you have already won.
You may need to be careful while using these over-ears, as the materials’ limitation means it is not as durable. Especially the microphone, as small force applications can break it.
- 【MULTI-PLATFORM COMPATIBILITY】: Equipped with 3. 5mm audio jack, the gaming headphones work great with PS4, Xbox One (adapter needed), Xbox One S / X, PC, Nintendo Switch / 3DS / New 3DS LL - (audio), computer, tablet, iPad and mobile phone. Pls note an additional Microsoft adapter (NOT included) will be needed when connecting to an older version of Xbox One.
- 【3D STEREO SURROUND SOUND】: 40mm high precision magnetic neodymium driver and acoustic positioning precision enhance the sensitivity of the speaker unit. Our pc headset offers a 3D stereo surround sound field and builds a vivid immersive gaming world for game players. Perfect pick for various games like Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront, Overwatch etc.
- Automatic LED lights
- Knitted audio cables
- Good surround sound
- Strong cord
- Flimsy microphone
How To Pick The Best Over Ear Headphones
Among the most vital factors of over-ear headphones, frequency response will let you know the sound range they can reach. For the most part, headphones’ frequency response tends to be somewhere between 20 and 20000 Hz, from low to high.
This range is what an average human can hear, as anything more or less does not register. That is the reason most of the best over ear headphones tend to aim for this range since it is pointless to produce sound outside of it.
However, that is not always the case. Over ear headphones with more frequencies on both ends can allow sounds to have some room, in which we can feel a little difference between a 20000 Hz and a 25000 Hz sound.
Wired Or Wireless
After Apple revealed its infamous decision to abandon the 3.5 mm headphone jack, many Android mobile phone makers followed suit. For this reason, these days, the need for wireless audio headphones has been driven to an unseen level.
So, which is better? There is no clear answer, as each of them has its unique pros and cons.
For instance, the best wireless over ear headphones free you from the shackle of the wire, eliminating any chance of tangle and time wasted to sort out the knots. Besides, some models of the best-sounding wireless headphones can now compete with wired options on sound quality.
Wired headphones’ plus point is that they are not limited by their battery and can go on as long as you desire. Wireless signals are also much more prone to interference, which can negatively impact your experience.
Noise Cancellation Or Noise Isolation
The outcome of these techs is the same, but their methods are inherently different. Noise isolation means the headphones act as a physical wall between the outside world and your ears. Thus, it blocks the noise from entering.
On the contrary, active noise cancellation means there are tiny microphones within the headphones picking up the environmental noises. Next, the headphones will create sound waves in the opposite direction, actively canceling the unnecessary noises.
Ear Cups Design
The design of ear cups can wholly change your listening experience. With closed-back headphones, the drivers are enclosed within the cups, only facing your ears. Hence, the sound can only go into your ears, a form of noise isolation.
On the other hand, the open-back ear cups expose the drivers and let the external noise pass freely. This characteristic means you will not be cut off from the world, providing a better soundstage.
Are Over-Ear Headphones Better For Your Ears?
Over-ear headphones do not directly deliver the sound to your ear canal, a major plus. As you may already know, our ear canals are delicate components, so directly receiving sounds can be damaging for them.
After hours of listening years on end, the ear canals will no longer be able to identify sounds, leading to hearing loss.
Wearing over-ear headphones means the sound will bounce around for a bit before it contacts the ear canals. Due to it being weakened considerably, there is almost no chance of the canals being damaged.
Which Are Safer, Headphones Or Earphones?
As mentioned above, headphones do not deliver sound directly into one’s ear canals, while earphones do. Because of this reason, there is a much higher chance of earphones damaging your canals if you accidentally turn the volume controls up too much.
Also, earbuds tend to push your earwax even deeper into your ears, making it much harder to clean. If left for too long, the ear waxes can lead to infections and seriou diseases.
How Long Should You Wear Headphones A Day?
To ensure that you will still have proper hearing capability after midlife, limiting headphones usage is a must.
The most popular suggestion about using headphones is to use them at most 60% of your headphones’ max volume. At this level, you can listen for a maximum of 60 minutes each day.
Modern headphones and earbuds can create sounds reaching 120 dB, comparable to a rock performance. Hearing this level of sound settings for only 15 minutes, much less hours, will cause hearing loss, as they are no different from thunderclaps.
However, thunderclaps will destroy your hearing ability almost immediately while this damage is spread over time. Most folks do not recognize the signs until it has become too late.
Is Noise Cancelling Dangerous?
There is no scientifically obtained evidence that active noise cancellation headphones emit radiation, much less dangerous radiation. On its own, there is no health risk that a pair of noise-canceling headphones can pose to you.
Instead, they can be great tools to protect yourself from environmental sounds, blocking out unwanted noises. You will be safe from loud car honks, construction sounds, etc. if you wear active noise cancellation headphones.
These headphones can only become dangerous for your health if you turn the volume settings up too high. As mentioned, doing so means your ear canals will receive sound waves too strong for their delicate selves. The end result is, of course, hearing loss.
After reading through our buying guide, we hope that you are now informed enough to make your own decision. You must remember that the best over ear headphones differ from person to person.
For some, noise cancellation is a must-have, while others don’t want to be cut off from the world. Each entry on this review has specific conditions in which they excel.
If you still cannot make a final decision, our recommendation is the Bose QuietComfort 35 II Headphone. At the end of the day, this pair of headphones has the best tech there is, and it can fit the needs of many people. The sound production it provides is also top-notch.