Noise–canceling headphones for sleeping assist you in improving overall health in the long run. Get reliable products from our reviews and buying guide!
Unwanted noises such as traffic, loud parties, and snoring are common interruptions to a good night’s sleep. Thanks to the advancement in technology, you can block out these noises with a quality pair of noise-canceling headphones for sleeping.
By drowning out the disturbances or replacing them with soothing sounds, you will find it easier to relax the muscles, balance the heart rates, and ease your mind. These actions result in a deep, restful sleep and improved overall health in the long run.
In this article, we’ve put together a list of the top 10 sleep-aid headphones for your needs. Also, the buying guide provides a detailed walkthrough on essential factors to look for in high-quality headphones.
10 Best Noise-Canceling Headphones For Sleeping In-Depth Reviews
The following section analyzes the benefits and limitations of the top 10 headphones for sleeping to help you make the most suitable purchase.
EarFun Free Pro Active Noise-Canceling Earbuds – Best Overall
EarFun Free Pro Active Noise-Canceling Earbuds
EarFun utilizes the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) technology for users who enjoy diverse audio content.
Whether it is music, podcast, or nature sounds, these earbuds enhance the audio frequency to create a lively atmosphere and high-quality sonic experience. With this technology, you can immerse yourself in your favorite tunes or the speech’s highlights.
The ear tips come in an ergonomic design with 4 sizes to ensure a comfortable fit. Plus, the sweat-proof cover is helpful in hot and humid weather. There are 3 sizes of ear hooks to adjust to the user’s ears with ease.
The EarFun Free Pro earbuds last up to 7 hours on each charge, plus 25 additional hours from the charging case. Along with the affordable price, the manufacturer includes an 18-month warranty to ensure a great customer experience.
One major drawback of this product is the lack of music control. This limitation requires you to manually fast forward or rewind tracks on the phone, which is inconvenient during your sleep.
- [CNET Best true wireless earbuds of 2021] EarFun Free Pro is a super light TWS earbud that weighs at a record-setting 0.15 oz. The small size and ergonomic shape sit tight and comfortable in your ear. The built-in anti-noise microphone help eliminate both inside and outside noise up to 28dB. ANC mode lets you silence outside sound so you can jam to the music and create a world of your own.
- [Latest Bluetooth 5.2 Technology with Wide Compatibility] Advanced Bluetooth 5.2 technology provides faster pairing and more secure connections within 49ft, so you don’t have to worry about signal cuts. You can rely on stable connections when pairing with any Bluetooth-enabled Android, iOS, and Windows devices for important calls and video meets.
- ANC technology for audio quality improvement
- Comfortable sweat-proof ear tips
- 32 hours of battery life
- Portable charging case
- Affordable price
- 18-month warranty
- No music control
TOZO NC9 Hybrid Active Noise-Canceling Wireless Earbuds – Best For Side Sleepers
TOZO NC9 Hybrid Active Noise-Canceling Wireless Earbuds
This product offers a well-built design to protect your ears by preventing up to 90% of noise from directly entering the ear canals.
The protective barrier makes these earbuds the best option for those who tend to sleep on one side as it removes the risk of the unit digging deeper into the ear canals.
The manufacturer includes Transparent Mode for safety precautions if you live alone. Once you turn on this mode, you will listen to music at a safe volume so you can hear alarming sounds from the surrounding environment.
The next factor that makes TOZO one of the best wireless headphones for sleeping is each earbud maintains full functions when used individually. Besides the 8 hours of continuous operation, the wireless on-the-go charging case adds 24 hours to the total working time.
TOZO tops the benefits off with a smart system that records Bluetooth pairing history, meaning it connects automatically to your device after the first use.
One factor to consider when using this product is the case does not stand up to external impacts. Since the impacts might cause malfunctioning, you may want to handle the unit with care in your travels.
- 【Active Noise Cancellation】Hybrid 3 layer Active Noise Cancellation. 1. Outward-facing microphone detects external sounds and counter with equal anti-noise to first cancel noise. 2. Inward-facing microphone listens inside ear canal to pick up internal sounds and produce anti-noise again to twice cancel the left noise. 3. Ear caps prevent 90% noise going to ear canal.
- 【Transparent Mode】 You can hear what you want to hear, which lets outside sound in so you can hear and interact with the world around you. You can clearly hear the announcement of the airline or subway and what is saying around you without taking off the headphones.
- Up to 90% noise blockage
- Safe design for the ear canals
- Transparent Mode available
- A total of 32 hours of battery life
- Automated Bluetooth connection
- Low-quality case material
- A Quick Guide On How To Sleep With Headphones
- The 5 Best Wireless Noise-cancelling Earbuds 2021: Budget And Premium
CozyPhones Over The Ear Headphones – Best For Budget
CozyPhones Over The Ear Headphones
Overall, CozyPhones is a versatile product with high-end quality at a budget-friendly price. This unit combines the cool mesh lining headband with rich audio to bring excellent sleep quality to users who are constantly on the road.
The contour shape holds the headphones in place without putting pressure on your head. Even on bumpy bus rides, you can drift off to sleep with stereo-graded music.
Moreover, the anti-twist cord avoids tangling around your neck to ensure safety. Since the headphones are located at a safe distance from the ear canals, there are no potential harmful impacts. After turning off the music, simply tuck the cord into your bag.
The washable fabric is a great help in maintaining the product quality. You can wear the headband on morning jogs, then wash and air dry it for usage at night.
The only minus point is the battery lasts for only 13 hours, which is relatively short if you need to commute throughout the day.
- HEADBAND EARPHONES: Lightweight, comfortable and washable sleep headband features a contour shape that dips down over your ears to provide the perfect fit. Thin 1/8" cushioned, removable speakers with a durable 52-inch cable provide rich, clear sound.
- COMFORTABLE EARPHONES FOR SLEEPING: Cool mesh lining keeps you cool at night and helps your sleep band stay in place, and the unique contour shape dips below the ears so the speakers stay secure within the headband.
- Comfortable mesh headband
- Washable material
- Contour shape for a secure fit
- Anti-twist cord
- Affordable price
- Short battery life
Bose QuietComfort Noise-Canceling Earbuds – Best For Restless Sleepers
Bose QuietComfort Noise-Canceling Earbuds
Restless sleepers prefer keeping the phone away from the bed to avoid any accident. Bose integrates Bluetooth 5.1 with touch-sensor control to meet this demand.
On operation, this unit provides consistent audio transmission within 30 feet, meaning you can still enjoy music when your phone is in the nearby room.
The touch control allows you to pause or play music within seconds. As this product is from the QuietComfort series, it delivers crystal clear audio with the help of Active EQ technology.
Bose includes soft silicone ear tips for comfortable cushions in your ears, enhancing safety when you toss around in bed.
Furthermore, you can choose from 3 ear tip sizes for a snug fit and a safe in-ear audio experience. A suitable size means the earbuds stay in place when you roll around in bed while sleeping.
As for the power level, the battery juice is sufficient for 6 hours, with 12 extra hours from the charging case. This amount of time guarantees up to 2 comfortable night’s sleep before the next charge.
On the flip side, there is no option to rewind the tracks on the touch control. It can be quite a hassle when you need the phone to go back to your favorite music.
- Noise cancelling earbuds – Engineered with the world’s most effective noise cancelling. Bose controllable noise cancellation and full Transparency Mode allow you to eliminate distractions, let your surroundings in, or a little bit of each.
- High-fidelity audio – An exclusive acoustic architecture brings your music, podcasts, and videos to life, while Volume-optimized Active EQ keeps the sound crisp and balanced at any level.
- Active EQ technology for high-quality audio
- Up to 30 feet of audio transmission range
- Soft silicone for a comfortable fit
- Customizable ear tip sizes
- Up to 18 hours of battery
- No audio rewind function
MUSICOZY Sleeping Headphones – Best For Light Sleepers
MUSICOZY Sleeping Headphones
If you find it difficult to fall asleep due to the lowest light or noise, then this headphone mask from MUSICOZY is the ideal option.
This mask has a bending cartilage design that ensures gap-free light blockage, providing a completely dark environment to help you fall asleep faster. The 3D contoured eye mask has enhanced depth that promotes stress relief for restful sleep.
With wired headphones, there is a risk of the cords wrapping around the neck when the wearers toss and turn in their sleep. These wireless headphones remove that risk, ensuring you’re getting a safe, peaceful, and uninterrupted sleep.
The manufacturer focuses on passive noise-canceling technology to drown out external noise and, at the same time, create immersive music. The Bluetooth 5.0 connection aids in delivering clear audio quality to help you fall asleep faster.
This product is made of soft memory foam for ultimate comfort when you switch sleeping positions. MUSICOZY offers multiple colors at an affordable price. With each purchase, you will get a fashionable audio sleeping mask in your favorite color.
The minus point for this unit is the short battery life of 10 to 12 hours. The manufacturer compensates for this flaw by muting the battery alarm, so there is no beeping sound when the battery runs out in your sleep.
Another flaw is the fixed size. The fabric is not flexible enough to stretch further than the indicated range of 20 to 26.5 inches.
- 【😴 Sleeps Like A Baby in Immersive Music】Musicozy 3D Bluetooth Sleep Mask allows you to listen to soft music without having to wear additional headphones, which make you fall asleep faster and no risk of enlacing with the neck. They block out ambient noise without using sleep ear buds that are painful & fall out. Extraordinary clarity offers you a superior comforting sound feast.
- 【👍 Unique 3D Contoured Design with Incredible Comfort Fabric】The eye space is wider and deeper than the traditional flat eye mask, no pressure as on your eye balls, your face, won't rub against your eyelids. What's more, the premium soft memory foam with skin-friendly smooth ice silk lining, will let you release your facial stress and help you get into sleep rapidly.
- Light blockage design
- Comfortable memory foam eye mask
- High safety level with no cords
- Strong wireless connection
- Stylish design
- Affordable price
- Improvable battery life
- Limited size options
KLOKOL Bluetooth Headphones– Best For Ease Of Use
KLOKOL Bluetooth Headphones
This unit has all the basic features for users to easily experiment with noise-canceling headphones for sleeping. KLOKOL ensures high quality and durability that is worth the price.
Whether you are using iOS or Android operating systems, this product connects to your device right away. The lightweight materials make it a great choice for working out, as the in-ear design maintains a secure fit even with intense activities.
With Active Noise Cancellation technology, these headphones deliver consistent audio that helps you focus on the music or podcast. Adjust the volume or change tracks easily with the controls right at your hands. Plus, the CVC 6.0 noise-canceling microphone supports phone calls on the go.
After a quick charging time of 1.5 hours, you will get an impressive 20 hours of audio playtime. The affordable price combined with the 1-year warranty makes this unit a good value deal.
However, we would appreciate it if the manufacturer improved the Bluetooth transmission range. The audio quality will decrease when you are out of 5 feet from the device.
- ♫20-Hr Excellent Long Battery Life: This Bluetooth headphones has 180 mAh powerful battery, up to 16 hours continuous talking time, 20 hours music time, 240 standby time and only needs around 1.5 hours to full charged.
- ♫Advanced Bluetooth V5.0 Connectivity: Bluetooth V5.0 provides quicker, more stable and wider compatibility with iOS and Android smart phones, tablets, laptops, and MP3 players. It can also pair easily with any two Bluetooth devices at once.
- Integrated ANC technology
- Noise-canceling microphone
- Compatible with various devices
- Reasonably priced
- 1-year warranty
- Limited Bluetooth range
Amazfit Zenbuds Smart Sleep Earbuds – Best For Health Support
Amazfit Zenbuds Smart Sleep Earbuds
Amazfit Zenbuds is a smart personal health assistant for users who aim to analyze details of their sleep quality.
This product monitors your heart rate, breathing patterns, and sleep hours and illustrates these metrics on its brand-exclusive app. This analysis helps you adjust your sleeping habits to improve your health.
Another notable benefit is Amazfit Zenbuds provides breathing exercises to help you achieve a calming state, which is essential for deep sleep.
Aside from passive noise cancellation technology, the manufacturer installs a wide selection of nature sounds and meditation tracks to help you ease the stress and fall asleep faster. Plus, the system will turn off sound once it detects you are in a deep slumber.
The friendly design fits in your ears nicely. This feature means there is no shifting when you switch sides or sleep in between the pillows.
Thanks to the skin-friendly silicone material, you won’t have to worry about allergies. The in-ear alarm also avoids disturbing your partner, especially when you wake up early.
The battery offers 12 hours of non-stop operation, with the charging case providing up to 60 hours to maintain your quality sleep.
Although this product is in the luxurious tier, it is worth your consideration as it has excellent support for your health. However, you can only install content verified by the manufacturer from the audio library.
- LIGHT AND COMFORTABLE: Amazfit Zenbuds are super lightweight at only 1.78g per earbud, the skin-soft ear tips are so comfy that you'd fall asleep barely feeling that they exist.
- NOISE-BLOCKING DESIGN AND SOOTHING SOUNDS: The earbuds fit perfectly across your ear ridge, effectively masking the outside noises as well as soothing you with natural sounds engineered to relax your mind and trigger the sleep cycle. They automatically pause playing once they detect that you’ve fallen asleep.
- Personal sleep monitoring system
- Built-in audio library
- Strong power supply from the charging case
- Minimalist, user-friendly design
- Convenient in-ear alarm
- Non-customizable sound options
Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Headphones – Best For Powerful Battery
Anker Soundcore Life Q20 Hybrid Headphones
These over-ear headphones have an impressive playtime of 40 hours with a single charge. This feature can come in handy when you live in a noisy neighborhood or simply want to listen to audio series at night.
All headphones in the Anker series are designed with ANC technology with the brand’s adjustments for deep bass output. This tuning results in emphasizing your favorite tunes and podcast.
When you wear this pair of headphones, the memory foam ear cups secure each side in place. The over-ear design works well for back sleepers who rarely change to the sides or users who prefer an empty bed with no pillows.
Along with the long battery life, the time gap between each charging time also prolongs the battery life. It’s recommended that you use 60% of the volume or lower to extend the battery life to 60 hours.
Moreover, each unit comes with a microphone that detects and counters external noise for clear phone calls. This product comes at a decent price for its quality.
One major drawback for Soundcore is the foam is not sweat-proof. This limitation may cause a stuffy feel for users in hot climates.
- Incredible Sound Loved by 20 Million+ People
- Hi-Res Audio Certified: Custom oversized 40 mm dynamic drivers produce Hi-Res Audio—a certification only awarded to audio devices capable of producing exceptional sound. Life Q20 active noise canceling headphones reproduce your music with extended high frequencies that reach up to 40 kHz for extraordinary clarity and detail.
- Robust battery life
- ANC technology with deep bass
- Safe memory foam design
- Noise-reducing microphone
- Affordable price
- Ear cups are not sweat-proof
Sony WHXB900N Noise-Canceling Headphones – Best For Seniors
Sony WHXB900N Noise-Canceling Headphones
Most elders find it difficult to adapt to technology. Sony makes it inclusive for all users by introducing these noise-canceling headphones with easy control. The touch sensor is combined with Alexa voice control to help the seniors have calming music in their sleep without any hassle.
The passive noise cancellation method is modified for extra bass. This function boosts even low-frequency sound for crystal clear audio, making this product the best choice for supporting the seniors’ hearing sense.
The manufacturer also includes Quick Attention Mode to support hands-free conversations.
By automatically detecting ambient noise to decrease the volume, this mode allows you to have a conversation without taking the headphones off. Sony makes it even better by adding one-touch activation for this mode.
The headphones come with air-tight cushion earpads to support users in concentrating on the audio. Each purchase includes a pouch for easy transport, a helpful add-on for the foldable design.
With each charge, the product can last up to 30 hours. Frequent phone calls may cut down the battery life slightly to 28 hours.
However, we found that the price is slightly higher than comparable products. In exchange, the manufacturer ensures durable materials, so the headphones are made to last for a long time.
- Feel the power of extra bass
- Next-level digital noise cancelling technology
- Easy-to-use touch sensor
- Convenient Alexa voice control
- Bass boosted function
- Quick Attention Mode for conversations with headphones on
- Comfortable cushion earpads
- Foldable compact design
- Up to 30 hours of battery life
- Expensive price
Otium Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds – Best For Comfort
Otium Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds
Otium headphones feature lightweight material combined with non-sticky silicone pads to promote the comfort of usage. Thanks to these features, you can achieve deeper sleep and barely notice their presence.
Moreover, the soft ear hooks keep the unit in place without any pronounced pressure on the skin. You won’t have to worry about skin marks even when you sleep on one side the entire night.
Otium headphones support consistent Bluetooth transmission within 30 feet in a clear area, which can be altered to 10 feet where there are obstacles. The cord wraps neatly around the neck, providing security and minimizing the risks of strangling.
This product has a moderate battery life of 8 hours. It’s understandable as the manufacturer tries to maintain a low price to make it accessible for more users.
On the downside, the package can’t stay put during the shipping process. This limitation can lead to accidental breakage. As a solution, Otium offers a replacement policy with fast-responding customer service.
- IPX7 waterproof,Adopting highly sealed shell + nano-coating waterproof technology, its waterproof performance reaches IPX7 waterproof standard, and it is not afraid of sweat attack even if it is used in severe sports. Great for running, hiking, cycling, fitness, yoga, travel, gym etc.
- Excellent sound quality, headset and Bluetooth for stereo sound and superb bass sound. Clear high & low volume. Best wireless earbuds sound.Bulit-in mic with voice notification of incoming calls
- Lightweight materials
- Non-sticky silicone pads
- Safe ear hooks
- Responsive Bluetooth connection
- Low price
- Fragile package during the shipping process
Buying Guide For A Good Pair Of Headphones
There are some key factors to look for when buying a set of headphones for sleeping.
Active Vs. Passive Noise Cancellation
Overall, there are two types of noise cancellation technology:
- Passive Noise Cancellation (PNC): This method uses silicone or foam to block noises from entering your ear canals rather than eliminating them. A quality pair of headphones adopting this technology can block up to 90% of ambient sounds.
- Active Noise Cancellation (ANC): This technology uses a microphone to transmit sounds from your surroundings to the core system, which produces a frequency to cancel out the sounds.
ANC works best for replacing snoring or noisy conversations with nature sounds, white noise, and music.
The right type of headphones for your sleeping style and habits can provide the best comfort:
- Over-ear: The ideal option for users who sleep on their back and don’t often change their position. This design also provides a safe gap from the device to the ear canal.
- Earbuds: This design is specially made for side sleepers. The compact design enhances sound quality better than most types of headphones. However, users need to choose the best fit to avoid earbuds falling off or getting stuck in the ears.
- Headband headphones: If you change your sleeping positions all the time, this type of design is an excellent choice. Most manufacturers choose lightweight fabric, so the fit is airy enough to prevent sweating.
The safety level depends greatly on the headphones’ connectivity.
Wireless headphones have the highest safety level because they remove the risk of the wearer getting strangled by the cords, especially for restless sleepers. The headband design is generally safe, with an add-on feature to reduce sweat.
Whether you sleep on your back, on the side, or toss around in your sleep, it’s recommended to aim for a pair of headphones or earbuds with multiple ear tip sizes for a snug fit and soft silicone pads.
Noise-canceling headphones last anywhere from 15 to 40 hours of continuous operation, while earbuds typically run from 4 to 8 hours. The running time varies depending on the technology.
Although the ANC technology has many benefits, the device requires more power to operate. ANC earbuds usually have additional power from the charging case that you can use on the go.
As for headphones, avoid unplugging when the battery does not fully charge to preserve the battery’s longevity. Traditional headphones and headbands with built-in speakers can’t charge on the go, so aim for products with a durable battery.
Expensive headphones aren’t necessarily better since the price includes add-on functions, but the sound quality may be average. Affordable products can still have convenient features, for example, voice or one-touch control, a quality microphone, and so on.
Prioritize sound quality according to your budget. If you want to use the headphones only for improving your sleep, we recommend choosing the one with an average microphone. For those new to headphones, touch control is easier to use and navigate the tracks.
Frequently Asked Question
For the final part, you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions on the safe way to use headphones for sleeping.
Is It Okay To Sleep With Headphones On Every Night?
When you sleep with your headphones every night, we recommend adjusting the volume to a safe range. The safe range for sound exposure is below 85 decibels, given that you listen to audio in this range for less than 2 hours.
When converting this statistic to headphone usage, this is indicated at 60% of the volume. Nowadays, most smartphones support users by sending a notification when you turn the volume higher than the safe range.
If you live alone, it is best to use only 40% of the volume. Doing so helps you hear loud, alarming sounds from the surroundings in case of an emergency.
An additional factor to consider is keeping the headphones clean. Dirt buildup tends to get clogged in the small details, which poses a risk of bacterial infection to your ears. Clean the unit frequently with Q-tips for a safe audio experience.
Do Noise-Canceling Headphones Work On Snoring?
Noise-canceling headphones work by detecting sound frequency, meaning they can detect even the lowest frequency, including snoring. If you prefer only white noise, wear the headphones with only the noise cancellation mode on, and you can go to bed with a calm mind.
Does Sleeping With Headphones Break Them?
Sleeping with over-ear headphones may break them if you toss and turn in your sleep. You can change the sleep position or use additional support.
A pillow with a hole in the center is a great companion. This type of pillow is originally made to support patients with sensitive ears, but you can use it to prevent your headphones from accidental breakage.
Can I Use One Earbud For Sleeping?
You can safely wear one earbud to bed at low volume and leave the other on charging mode. It’s advisable to use one earbud on the side you don’t sleep on to avoid breakage.
After a close inspection on the best noise-canceling headphones for sleeping, our top recommendation belongs to the EarFun Free Pro Active Noise-Canceling Earbuds. This product offers clear audio quality with a comfortable and secure fit. The 18-month warranty reflects the manufacturer’s confidence in their product’s build quality.
Our runner-up is the MUSICOZY Sleep Headphones Eye Mask, a versatile product for light-sensitive sleepers, especially when they need to maintain their sleep on long travels. The wireless connection also eliminates the risk of strangling cords.
Finally, the Amazfit Zenbuds Smart Sleep Earbuds are the best earbuds for sleeping that doubles as a health specialist. This unit tracks full details of your sleep quality, including heart rate, to help you improve your sleep. Plus, the audio library supports breathing exercises.